GEMS 100 Steering Committee
GEMS100 is a one-credit freshmen course designed to orient incoming students to the Gemstone Program and the multiple resources at the University. Students will explore the areas of liberal education, diversity, arts, current events, service, teambuilding, and leadership. Through readings, interactive discussions, activities, and field trips, students will be encouraged to think broadly about their college and Gemstone experience. Students will also develop an in depth understanding of their responsibilities to the Gemstone Program.
Applications for the GEMST 100 Steering Committee become available in the fall.
Steering Committee Responsibilities:
- Assist in the Section Leader interview and selection process including: writing interview questions, composing an evaluation instrument, interviewing candidates and selecting the staff
- Must assist in planning MANDATORY training
- Attend the Freshmen Welcome Ceremony
- Facilitate a bi-weekly Section Leader meeting during the fall semester (Gems 208)
- During Spring semester, meet weekly with Gemstone Staff to plan for Gems 100
- During Fall semester, meet bi-weekly with Gemstone staff to plan and organize Gems 100 and Section Leaders
- Participate in all Section Leader activities and responsibilities and meet required deadlines
The Gems 100 Steering Committee Applicants will be accepted based on the following:
- Maturity and professionalism
- Positive attitude
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills
- Demonstrated success as a Section Leader
- Ability to communicate and work with a diverse peer group
GEMS 100 Steering Committee is a three credit course in the spring semester, and steering committee members also receive a stipend for teaching a GEMS 100 section.