Get Involved with GSC
Thank you for your interest in being a part of the Gemstone Student Council! There are several available positions on the Gemstone Student Council for the 2016-2017 year. You will see all position descriptions on the next several pages. For full descriptions of each committee/chair position, visit our website. You may apply for more than one position, and you will be able to preference specific chair positions at the end of the application. You do not need any experience on GSC to apply for these positions
Please read the following requirements before applying:
- Must be a student in the Gemstone Program.
- Must be flexible and dedicated to the success of a committee.
- Must be able to attend a weekly committee meeting.
- Must be able to communicate regularly with their committee members, including the vice president of that committee.
- Must be willing to participate in the initiatives planned by your committee.
- Must have and maintain at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Must be able to attend monthly General Body Meetings, tentatively scheduled for the first Sunday of each month at 6 pm.
Applications can be found at ter.ps/gsc1617, and are due by 5pm on Friday, September 09, 2016. Along with your application, please email a copy of your school schedule to assist with committee meeting time planning (be sure to note in your email any other meetings or commitments that you are already aware of). If you have any questions, please contact Lara Fu, GSC President, at email@example.com.
Community & Social Initiatives Committee
Goals: Plan and execute unique and exciting events and initiatives for Gemstone students throughout the school year; Plan and execute Gems Formal for both the fall and spring semesters; Coordinate philanthropy projects.
Available Chair Positions:
- Event Planning Co-Chair: Assisting in the planning and execution of various committee events and initiatives over the course of the year, including original events and events that have been successful in past years such as Fall Food Olympics; Leading the planning and organization of Gems Formal in the fall and Spring Soiree/Banquet in the spring; Planning events and activities that foster a team atmosphere among GSC members, as well as assisting in the planning and execution of other committee events/initiatives.
Goals: Keep general student body updated on the activities of the Program (for example, upcoming events and major campus-wide events); Update the bulletin board and The Stone with the latest Gemstone events, activities, and news; Serve as a support to the other committees by publicizing upcoming events and initiatives via social media and other creative methods.
Available chair positions:
- Journalist Co-Chair (2 positions available): Responsible for writing multiple articles for Gemstone's blog, The Stone, and finding guest contributors to also write articles.
- Multimedia Design & Public Relations Co-Chair (2 positions available): Responsible for designing logos and event flyers, improving the design of GSC's blog, the Stone, and collaborating with committees to create promotional videos for major events and coordinating social media efforts with VP of Operations, updating the GSC calendar, and publicizing GSC events.
Cohort Relations Committee
Goals: Plan and execute student appreciation initiatives for milestone events in the four year experience (for example, Sophomore Thesis Proposal, Junior Colloquia, and Thesis Conference); Augment inter- and intra-cohort sense of community feeling and belonging; Plan and execute cohort; Plan and execute professional development events and programming for Gemstone students.
Available chair positions:
- Class of 2016 Representative: Responsible for engaging the 2016 cohort in determining interest for in cohort activities and programming and coordinating with co-VPs.
- Class of 2017 Representative: Responsible for engaging the 2017 cohort in determining interest for in cohort activities and programming and coordinating with co-VPs.
- Class of 2018 Representative: Responsible for engaging the 2018 cohort in determining interest for in cohort activities and programming and coordinating with co-VPs.
- Class of 2019 Representative: Responsible for engaging the 2019 cohort in determining interest for in cohort activities and programming and coordinating with co-VPs.