Celebrate With Us
Although we are collectively experiencing a global pandemic, we are excited to come together as a Gemstone community to celebrate a significant milestone, Gemstone’s 25th Anniversary: Celebrating Twenty-Five Years of Impact and Inquiry. To commemorate this milestone, we are working with our current students, alumni, faculty, and campus partners to reflect on Gemstone’s history and its future. Our hope is to not only connect with our Gemstone community, but also to highlight the amazing work that Gemstone has accomplished over the past 25 years.
Decision 2020: Intersections of Politics & Policy
Monday, October 26th at 7:30pm ET via Zoom
Join us for a moderated conversation focusing on the intersections of politics and policy, with a consideration for the role research plays in the context of an election, how decisions are made, and how policy is ultimately influenced. This panel will feature Gemstone alumni:
- Sam Black ‘07, Program Examiner, White House Office of Management & Budget
- Lienna Feleke-Eshete ‘16, Senior Associate of Public Policy & Movement, Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE)
- Erin Health ‘00, Director of Federal Relations, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Elizabeth Jia ‘07, Marketing & Corporate Communications, Freddie Mac
* This panel will be moderated by Gemstone Student Ben Baitman ‘21.
Night with the Directors
Click here to view the webinar recording from this event!
We kicked off Gemstone’s 25th Anniversary with a virtual fireside chat with the founding, former, and current Gemstone Directors:
- Dr. Thomas Fuja, Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- Dr. James Wallace, Professor Emeritus, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland
- Dr. David Lovell, Gemstone Director & Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Maryland
Unfortunately, Drs. William Destler and Frank J. Coale were unable to attend, but we hope to find an opportunity to connect with both of them in the future to hear about their time in Gemstone at some point during the Anniversary Year.
Share Your Gemstone Stories & Memories
We want to hear from YOU regarding your own Gemstone experiences!
If you would like to share your memories and stories with us, please visit go.umd.edu/gemsfromgems.
Please continue to check this page for more information regarding events, engagement opportunities, and more! If you would like to get involved with our 25th Anniversary planning, Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.