Gemstone Do Good Showcase (Formerly Junior Colloquia)
Gemstone Do Good Showcase Schedule
Gemstone Do Good Showcase 2018 will take place on Thursday, November 15th from 6:00-9:30pmin Edward St. John Learning and Teaching Center, Room 0224.
Presentations Must Cover the Following:
- Describe your research problem and the focus of your research.
- Describe the present status of your research. Tell us what you’ve accomplished toward the success of your project since your thesis proposal last spring. Most teams should have started collecting data by this point. Tell us how data collection is going. If you have any preliminary results, please share them!
- What methodology are you using in your original research? Discuss your goals for your research and product (if applicable). How do you plan to answer your research question?
- How is your research addressing an urgent societal issue? What contributions will your research make that will Do Good?
- Please don't forget a conclusion to your presentation!
What Presenters Need to Know About Gemstone Do Good Showcase
- All presenters must arrive at least thirty minutes in advance of the start time (5:30 p.m.) in order to prepare and set up. There will be tech support available to help.
- Out of courtesy for all teams, all members of presenting teams must stay until all teams have presented. Please do not think you can sneak out early for your SGA meeting or to study for your exam. Of course, students who have class or exam conflicts are excused to leave early. Please email email@example.com in advance if you anticipate a conflict.
- Each presentation should run no more than 7 minutes followed by a 3 minute Q&A session with the audience.
- All team members should be present and participate in some way (they don’t all have to speak) unless a student has a class conflict.
- All members should dress professionally.
- We strongly encourage that mentors and librarians be in attendance so they may give feedback on the team’s content.
- All first-year and sophomore students will complete a feedback form for each presentation. We will take these for attendance purposes and then will give them to you.
- Be aware that the attendees are coming up with some very good and challenging questions for our presenters. Please come prepared to handle all kinds of questions.
- Presentations must be delivered using PowerPoint as they will be recorded using Panopto. Please come prepared with your presentation saved to a flashdrive or on the cloud as a PowerPoint file. Google slides or PDF will NOT work and will not be accepted.
- Gemstone has partnered with the Do Good Initiative this year and a panel of judges will award prizes for the top 3 teams.