Gemstone Colloquia Schedule
Junior Colloquia 2017 will take place on Wednesday, November 15th and Thursday, November 16th from 6:30-9:00pm in Edward St. John Learning and Teaching Center, Room 0202.
Presentations Must Cover the Following:
- Describe your research problem and the focus of your research. What is your research question? What is your hypothesis? Why is your study important?
- Describe the present status of your research. Tell us what you’ve accomplished toward the success of your project since your thesis proposal last spring. Most teams should have started collecting data by this point. Tell us how data collection is going. If you have any preliminary results, please share them!
- What methodology are you using in your original research? Discuss your goals for your research and product (if applicable). How do you plan to answer your research question?
- What is the most difficult challenge your team has faced to date? What challenges do you anticipate in the future?
- Tell us about your team composition and process. What advice regarding team dynamics do you have for the freshmen?
- Please don't forget a conclusion to your presentation!
What Presenters Need to Know About Colloquia
- All presenters must arrive at least thirty minutes in advance of the start time (6:00 p.m. each night) in order to prepare and set up. There will be tech support available to help.
- Out of courtesy for all teams, all members of presenting teams must stay until all teams have presented. Please do not think you can sneak out early for your SGA meeting or to study for your exam. Of course, students who have class or exam conflicts are excused to leave early. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance if you anticipate a conflict.
- Each presentation should run no more than 15 minutes followed by a 5 minute Q&A session with the audience.
- All team members should be present and participate in some way (they don’t all have to speak) unless a student has a class conflict.
- All members should dress professionally.
- We strongly encourage that mentors and librarians be in attendance so they may give feedback on the team’s content.
- All freshmen will complete a feedback form for each presentation. We will take these for attendance purposes and then will give them to you.
- Be aware that the freshmen are coming up with some very good and challenging questions for our presenters. Please come prepared to handle all kinds of questions